To really learn a language you need to be comfortable with practicing key vocabulary and expressions.
Effective communication is necessary in business so learning these key phrases is a great way to improve your:
After all, you are there to represent your company and contribute.
Here are some useful phrases that you should practice :
Starting the Meeting
Typically, the host or chairperson will begin the meeting with one of the following:
- Alright, it’s time to get down to business
- We’re here today to discuss ….
- Ok, everyone it’s getting late, so let’s get the ball rolling.
Expressing an Opinion
It is expected that participants express their opinions at some point throughout the meeting. Here are some examples:
- I’m 100% certain that we can make this work.
- I don’t think we should jump to conclusions
- I think we should weigh our options
Asking for Clarification
It can be intimidating to seek clarifications in meetings sometimes, especially, if your directors are present. Not to mention asking in English! Despite this, it is important that you are clear on what is expected of you and keeping up with the discussion.
- Excuse me, can you please elaborate
- Sorry, I’m not following you, can you please explain some more
- What exactly do you mean by that?
At some point, you may need to interrupt someone during the meeting. Always try to be courteous as this shows that you are a professional.
- Sorry to interrupt, but …
- Excuse me, if I could just jump in here…
- Could I just say one thing?
Closing the meeting
It is polite to close meetings by thanking attendees. These phrases are commonly used to signal the end of a meeting:
- I think we’ve covered everything so if no one has anything further to add, let’s end it here.
- Ok, I think that’s about everything, so let’s wrap this up.
- Thank you all for coming, this meeting is adjourned.
Teamwork makes the dreamwork.
💡 Teacher Tip:
⭐️ Rehearse phrases in front of a mirror:
– This will help you see what you look like in real time.
– It will also reduce your reliance on your notes.
What are some of the ways you practice?
View this post on Instagram